I came across this recipe during one of my trips to Scotland. I was meandering the streets of Edinburg exploring shops and second-hand stores when I discovered a cookbook about modern ways with traditional recipes. I modified the recipe to fit flavors and ingredients that are more readily found in the United States.
Fig Rhubarb Rum Chutney
- 2 Cups Brown Sugar
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 2 pinches Cloves
- 1 Cups Apple Cide Vinegar
- ½ Cups Dried Dates chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger finely chopped
- 1 Large Onion chopped
- 6 Cups Rhubarb chopped
- 1 Large Apple chopped
- 2 Cups Fresh Figs quartered
- 2 tsp Garlic
- ½ Cup Spiced Rum Optional
- ¼ Cups Raisin or Cranraisins Optional
- 1 Bottle Chilled Semi-Sweet White Wine Optional - for sipping
- Open chilled wine and pour a glass. Sip and enjoy while preparing and cooking chutney. (optional)
- Combine dry ingredients in a large saucepan first, then add remaining ingredients.
- Bring to a boil for 4 minutes. Reduce temperature.
- Simmer on low heat for 45 minutes.
- Ladle into 1-pint canning jars.
- Let cool on the counter till room temperature.